Today has been really busy, but pretty great too. I went to the airport with Mom after her work and we got a little lost! We got very near the airport (we could even see it!) but we couldn't figure out how to get to the terminals! Thirty minutes later, we finally made it. (I was really stressed at this point.) Luckily, security was a breeze and I found a place to convert my money. I left at 7:45, nervous and excited. I took these pictures at the airport:
 |
| My Gate |
 |
| My plane |
 |
| The view out my window |
The flight was great. (The pilot was really good--a smooth ride the whole time, take off and landing included!) Once we landed, I started getting really nervous again... what if customs rejected me and I was deported! (I sometimes overreact...) Luckily, customs was just fine and the line wasn't even that long. I then got my bag and waited and waited and waited for the shuttle person to come with my name on a board. (Just a side note, ever since I was little, I've wanted to be one of the people to have my name on a board; I thought it was so cool!) Boy, I got nervous a lot! Eventually, the driver came and I was so relieved! I had a hard time understanding him though; he had a mix between a Italian and Indian accent. A lot of the time I smiled and nodded. :) I got dropped off at a hotel just around the hotel from my address. I adjusted my backpack and dragged my suitcases, feeling very much like a clueless tourist. I found the place with no trouble. One problem. It was the wrong place! Evidently, our mailing address is different from our actual flat. The person at the desk gave me a map and soon I found other people from my group who helped me find my way and bring my things up the stairs to the fifth floor. (The elevator is broken.) I met my roommates (who are awesome) and relaxed until our scheduled walk to show us the neighborhood.
The walk was good, but I definitely don't think I've mastered the neighborhood yet... Hopefully I can find my class tomorrow! :) We were such a big group; we got a lot of awkward stares. Our walk ended at the grocery store (I forgot the name), so my roommates and I got a few groceries and other things we needed. After bringing back our stuff, we went exploring a little and went out to eat! Trying to find a place was a little difficult. Believe it or not, we found a Burger King and KFC quite easily, but had trouble finding other restaurants that had reasonable prices. Eventually, we found this place:
I got fish and chips, which were good but not quite what I expected...
 |
| Notice that the TAIL is still there!!! I think they just chopped off the head and fried it! |
One funny thing we noticed about the menu was that they consider "American pancakes" to be a dessert! Haha, so that means we sometimes eat dessert for breakfast! :)
After dinner, it was getting late. So, we decided to take the bus back to our flat. At the station, some people with suitcases looked like they were going to ask us for directions. I was thinking, "Sorry, but you've asked the wrong people. We're clueless!" But they asked us about a street that we have to go on to get home! So, we were able to give directions on our first day! :) Also, while at the bus stop, I saw this hotel that reminded me of someone...
 |
| Shout out to Bailey! |
 |
| Just a different view of the hotel |
Anyway, after that we rode the bus (my first one in London!) and... missed our stop. :) We got out at the next stop and walked the rest of the way. Once we made it back, we were all exhausted. We quietly unpacked, chatted, and went to bed! All in all, quite the day! Can't wait for tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment